US Passport Requirements

ALL PERSONS traveling by AIR outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.
LAND AND SEA TRAVEL The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.
CURRENTLY: U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
LATER: On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document. Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.
United States citizens can visit the State Department’s web site, or call the U.S. National Passport Information Center: 1 (877) 4USA-PPT. Please allow at minimum 6–8 weeks for processing of the passport application. Expedited or Express Passport services are also offered by independent companies.
For information, please visit: To find out more information about how to obtain a passport, please visit: To find foreign country entry requirements, please visit: To find U.S. entry requirements for non-citizens, please visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment